Thursday, June 29, 2006

Thumbs up to Google Maps

I've really come to rely on Google Maps and find it an excellent tool. I know it has been around awhile and this praise is late, but it struck me the other day why I really like Google Maps.

Take away the ease of searching on addresses (isn't it nice that if it can't find your address it offers alternatives, that you don't always need a full address, and that you can type in landmarks, like "Fenway Park" to find a map?). Take away the API and the plethora of mashups, including the pedometer I use frequenlty to track my progress in running. Take away the cool, but really useful, satellite images. Take away the ability to save your route.

Take all of that away and what you still have are damn good maps. They are clean. They are easy to read. They are simple. They are actually enjoyable to use. Go back and compare them to MapQuest. They are soooo much better. A colleague recently said, "we didn't know we needed a better mapping tool until Google Maps came along." It's true and thankfully it did.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I luv Google Maps too, brings so much convenience to my daily life:)