Monday, June 12, 2006

Writing letters, part 3

Since I've been blogging a bit about letters (here and here), I thought I'd add one more thought in this "series" based on two recent experiences.

First let me state the obvious: letters are really nice to get. Maybe it is because they are rare, or I am always impressed that someone actually took the time to write one. I don't know exactly, but sending a letter is a good gesture.

So my two experiences?

I recently moderated a panel discussion and presented at two different conferences. Afterwards, I received letters (typed, not hand-written, but at least it wasn't an email) from the organizers of each conference. The one was probably a form letter sent to all participants (but still nice to get). The writer of the other letter really personalized it, citing something I mentioned in my presentation. She not only appreciated my involvement, but showed she listened to the talk.

The other experience involves those rare hand-written letters. We discussed a staff position with someone for the company I work for and shortly thereafter he sent hand written letters to everyone involved thanking them for their time. First, I was really impressed to receive the note. I've interviewed plenty of people and not all of them send acknowledgements. And the letter being handwritten, really topped it off.

I hope I remember to identify and then take the time to write (or even type) letters for times that even only slightly warrant it.

No comments: