Thursday, June 29, 2006

Bad customer service: Hertz

I am planning a family vacation for Disney World. I have never been there and neither have my children.

One of the more difficult choices is whether to stay in the park or in one of the nearby hotels outside the park. From some advice received by friends, we decided if we stay outside the park we should rent a car. So, I thought, "great, I have enough points with Amtrak to get a free rental through their reward program that partners with Hertz."

Now, my family has 6 people in it (my wife and four children), plus my mother-in-law is joining us. So we need a minivan. But the voucher from the Amtrak awards program allows for a mid-size car. I figure, that's fine, I'll just pay the difference.

So I call the Hertz agent to confirm all of this. Well, it turns out I cannot book the van. I can only book the mid-size and then when I get there, if vans are available, I can upgrade (and pay the difference). Upgrade? I am not asking for a convertible here. I have a big family. I can't chance it that a van will be available. The agent couldn't help me. I don't understand the logic.

So, if we rent a car, it certainly won't be with Hertz. So instead of getting some money for the "upgrade" they now get nothing.

And I think we will just stay in the park.

No comments: