Monday, July 10, 2006

Bad (and good) customer service: Verizon

A day before my recent vacation, I experienced intermittent and slow connection speeds with my Verizon DSL. For the 8 months or so before that my service had been fine.

I called Verizon's DSL technical support and one question threw me for a loop: how long was my phone line from my computer to my wall jack. Well, I set up my office in my basement and ran the lines myself. There really is no wall jack (it is just running to my wireless router outside my office). I ran the line right from the main console and it is about 25 feet. So I said "25 feet." Seems Verizon says your line can't be more than 10 feet. But what is the difference if I was on, say a third floor, with a 2 foot line to my wall jack that had 30-40 feet running down to the main console? And why, all of a sudden, would my 25 foot line cause problems? The technical rep didn't want to hear anything else. She wouldn't go beyond this issue and refused to help me until I moved my set up closer to my non-existent wall jack.

I was frustrated but had a vacation in front of me. When I returned, I set up the modem right off the main console and called back. This time, the rep did not ask me this stupid question. But he did do a number of line tests, determined my modem is faulty, and said I will receive a new one in 2-3 days. Problem diagnosed in about 10 minutes and the solution on its way via mail.

Now, why couldn't the first person run the same test?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have been fighting with Verizon since October, 2007. At that time I ordered FIOS TV and Internet. The thing I did WRONG was to cancel my Verizon Phone (land line) service at the same time. Now I don't get a paper bill, when I look online it shows I have a $0 balance, but customer service (ha ha) says I owe them about $300, which is probably correct but I can't find a way to PAY them. I am on hold with them right now. My advice - if you get FIOS and DON'T want to keep your land line - DON'T DISCONNECT YOUR LAND LINE FOR A FEW MONTHS AFTER YOUR FIOS TV / INTERNET / LAND LINE IS WORKING OK. I am VERY happy with my FIOS service, just not the billing.