Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Good customer service: US Airways (at least Mike)

I've posted twice on customer service issues (here and here). Although I do encounter bad customer service like everyone else, I also, on occasion, experience some really exceptional customer service. When this happens, my wife and I both have tried to make a point to follow up to the company to point out the experience and commend the specific person involved. If you are going to take the time to point out bad customer service, we figure you better do the same for good service.

I recently did this with my bank and about a year ago did so to US Airways. I didn't want my two previous posts to be representative of my reaction to customer service. There really is sometimes good customer service out there. Unfortunately, I think good customer service is often representative of the individual and bad customer service often of lame brain company policy.

On that US Airways example, I had somehow switched my laptop with another person while going through security. Don't ask how. It is stupid, but it happened (and hey, someone else was just as dumb as I was). After the experience, I've taped my business card on the outside of my laptop (it was either that or paint it bright orange).

After I was greatly assisted by someone (Mike) in baggage claim, I sent the following letter the the Managing Director of Corporate and Consumer Affairs at US Airways. There are only two bad sides to this story. One, I never got Mike's last name (but I hoped the detail in the letter would help identify him) and two, although while filling out the feedback form on the US Airways web site, I checked an option to get confirmation the letter was received, I never did (but I should note I both mailed this letter and emailed it through the web site). [UPDATE: For some reason, I was searching for something in my gmail account and up popped the response from US Airways in the results (it is a few years old now). I don't know why I do not remember seeing this before, but Katrina Y. Brown of the Executive Staff of the US Airways Office of Consumer Affairs did confirm receipt of my letter]

Anyway, here is the letter and a story of great customer service:

Ms. Deborah Thompson
Managing Director, Corporate and Consumer Affairs
US Airways
P.O. Box 1501
Winston Salem, NC 27102-1501

Ms. Thompson:

I wanted to write to inform you of the excellent service provided by Mike in the New Orleans airport bagging handling area.

While going through security in Philadelphia, I inadvertently switched my laptop with another passenger. I did not notice this until on board the plane.

When I arrived in New Orleans, on Sunday 4/24 sometime around 9:30, I was sent to the baggage handling area for assistance. Mike in the baggage area (I did not get his last name) was very understanding of the problem. This was not my socks that were misplaced, but my laptop with all of my business and personal information. Luckily I was able to retrieve a name from the laptop and Mike was able to track him down and found he was arriving in Las Vegas. Mike then worked his way through to the arriving desk in Vegas so that the attendant there could flag down this other customer with my laptop. This was done an hour after I left the airport (Mike set a timer for himself to call when the plane arrived).

I feel Mike did an outstanding job in connecting me with the other passenger and felt he was prepared to help as much as possible to solve the problem. He probably could have gone through some standard procedure, asked me to fill out some form, and send me on my troubled way. But he went all out to make sure the problem was resolved.

In an era where very good customer service is hard to find, Mike really stands out.

The other customer and I shipped the laptops to each other and all is well.

Thanks,
Ed

So, anyway, the point is there is both good and bad customer service out there. Recognize both. And with that, hopefully those in charge of customer service operations will seek to make ever evolving improvements as well as reward those who do an exceptional job.

No comments: