Sunday, February 04, 2007

More and more advertisements

I've noticed for a while now, and you probably have to, but it really hit me as I was standing in line at the Bethesda Bagel Shop and there was this new huge (maybe 36 inch) flat screen TV showing me ads for local businesses mixed in with trivia and news.

I've seen these tv-like devices in elevators, in line at the shopping market, in taxis, and other places. I guess this is a good business idea. Here is this tv screen (everyone has been trained to stare at that already) that displays trivia, weather, news headlines or some other attention grabbing piece of information and then some ads for local or national businesses. In places that never had this before.

But man, do we need more ads thrown in our faces. Some day we will have ads on the insides of our eyelids.

One last note. This is a different type of delivery, but the DC metro has ads appearing on the inside of the subway tunnel, at least on the red line. I assume it is a series of still pictures, but the speed of the train gives them motion, sort of like a cartoon flip book.

No comments: